Saturday, August 18, 2012

Captin Hook and Peter Pan..

 It could be a battle to the death. The wooden swords are clacking loudly. Bits of wood flying about. Shouts of joy, surprise and excitement fill the air. Its Saturday! The kids are out playing in the tall grass. I keep hearing references to Peter Pan and Captain Hook. I see what appears to be small herds of children flying about the campus using magical fairy dust. From where I am watching I can't really tell who is the Captain and who is Peter, but I can tell fun is being had. It's a good thing to be around children.
 
I'm in my second day of being sick. I hate being sick. But doesn't everybody? Looks like its a 24 hour bug. This second day I am getting better fast. I think I'll be 100% by tomorrow. (But malaria can look like this too so Judy will watch me.)

Judy went out shopping this morning. She found powered sugar! Such a simple thing! The general theory here is if you see something you have been wanting or needing, you better buy it!  The next time it probably won't be available.

They have trash pickup service here. Yes, I was pleasantly amazed. One of the company employees comes by every three months or so to collect payment for the service. He says the truck should come by three times a week. I have seen them coming by about once a week. But the last three weeks, they haven't showed up. I called the company and they said something about employee turnover and a truck will be by soon. But the trash heap is growing, as we wait.

One of the ways we help the local economy is to employ Chadians. Here is a photo of Amelie who just finished making bread. She is also very good at making delicious Shepard's pie and other wonderful dishes.

Judy's work keeps her busy, sometimes into the night. We keep trying different tactics to eliminate the night work. At times this job can be like herding cats!  So we keep working on it.  She really enjoys having people over for a meal when they arrive or just before leaving the country. Having Amelie has made it easier.

My work keeps me busy too. That's an understatement! Still remodeling the interior of the administration building, still working on the new library, still doing plumbing and electrical fixes in all the buildings. I'm trying to fix a sump pump that is used to drain the SIL lake. I bought this new one three weeks ago ($400) and it quit the other day. I found it sprung an internal leak. The internal electrics didn't like that. I'm trying to find the right parts and pieces to repair it.



In a moment of randomness one of our translators tried driving across our Lake SIL. Normally a dry lake, but its the rainy season now! She got about half way and sunk in. It was somewhat fun, or is that funny; five guys spending an hour or so getting her out.
Looks like both Judy and I will be flying to Asheville, NC in November to see our new grand baby and take some required down time. Judy will stay on to help, but after a week I'll fly on to Tucson.  Jordan needs to move out of our home in November. We really need to get the place rented. So I'll be doing everything I can do to get a renter and maybe a property manager while I'm out there. *A fully furnished home, all utilities included, just bring your clothes and toothbrush; $1000 a month. We will fly back to N'Djamena together from Asheville the beginning of Dec.

No comments:

Post a Comment