Sunday, February 26, 2012

Jims last motorcycle trip before leaving...

Our back yard in Tucson, she had three kittens too, but she wasn't too found of letting us see them. The other day we saw them chasing a bird across our neighbors driveway.

I took a trip to Death Valley NP in mid January. This is the "most centrally located FREE campsite in Death Valley with running water and a flush toilet." Its 35 miles from anywhere, but hey, its the "most centrally located FREE campsite in Death Valley with running water and a flush toilet." So whats a little distance among friends. The five other guys I went with thought we were a little out in the boonies.

Judy's brother Steve and his son Prescott were there. This is a day trip to an abandoned mine up by Skeedoo. Quite a complex in its day.

Looking down a shaft we see the National Parks attempt to protect us from ourselves. They have barred us off from going down the shaft. Evidently they are not a fan of the "Darwin Awards". A program specializing in showing people do dumb things that often end in their own demise. 

OK, this photo is to be raffled off to the individual who or individuals who can tell me where it was taken. Be specific now. No saying, its in Death Valley. I want a "Its the doorway into the south side of the ...", kind of answer.

The quaint little mining village of "Royalite" errr something like that. Not a lot of buildings left but just enough to let you know something was there. This was the train depot, but once the mine closed the train stopped and it eventually became a small gambling hall. Now its fenced with keep out signs, hoping for the future to be better.

Back at the "most centrally located FREE campsite in Death Valley with running water and a flush toilet."  We have Jim holding the camera, Wade sitting on the right, Bryan with the blue hat and coat and Dick with the nose shot.  I arrived at this camp a day ahead of the group. As I was setting up camp I was looking for a flat rock to place my stove on. Under one rock I found a one dollar bill. That was interesting. I kept looking for a rock and next I found a ten dollar bill... all of a sudden the rocks didn't seem all that important, and I switched to just looking for bills. After ten minutes and not finding any other bills, I realised the error of my ways.

Group shot the day before leaving and after the Boy Scouts moved in... but non the less,  it was the "most centrally located FREE campsite in Death Valley with running water and flush toilets."

Just a good shot of me at "Mustard Hills".

You'll notice the sign in the back, at the bottom left it says 214 feet below sea level. You'll also notice that something is not right with my motorcycle. Yes, just like the camels of the old west, at times when they get tired, they will just randomly lay down. This shot is a great example of that age old tradition. Not buying that??? Well then, would you believe my right foot slipped on the gravel when coming to a stop? That is the truth and I'm stickin to it.

After the rest of the troop caught up with me, we got a group shot. Funny how none of the other bikes felt the urge to lay down. Yes, this is a two man bike when it comes to being picked up. No, there was no damage to the bike.

Yes, this is me at the Hoover Dam. I'm on the pedestrian walkway for the new bridge they just finished. We saw the cars still driving across the dam and so thought they were allowing thru traffic to cross the dam again. About three miles past the dam we came to the end end turn around. All in all it was a great trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment